Possibly one of the most terrifying moments in a woman’s life is the realization you have when you learn you’ll be a first time mom. No matter how much you’ve prepared for it or want it, the feeling can be overwhelming. I became a first time mom at the age of 19. This is when I learned I was pregnant with my eldest. I was 19, poor and a blank slate. You can say that raising Bastian was my time of learning and trial and error. My pregnancy with him was full of reading up to prepare and plenty of uncertainty. I gave birth to him in a lying in clinic and it was an experience that toughened me up.
Today, options are better and woman are more informed. At the forefront of creating a sense of security and knowledge for first time moms is Dr Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital (JDMH). The launching of the First Time Mom Unit at Jesus Memorial Delgado Hospital on May 29 will provide the necessary information needed for all women who are or will be moms.
Dr Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital located in Kamuning, Quezon City was founded on August 1,1948 by Dr. Jesus C. Delgado and his wife, Mrs. Carmen Bayot-Delgado. In the 1960′s, Dr. Mary Rose Delgado-Abad and her husband, Dr. Rainerio S. Abad, an OB-GYNE specialist and Oncologist helped grow the clinic. The Phil Health accredited medical facility is under current President-Administrator, Ma. Violeta Delgado Cojuangco.
What is a First Time Mom Unit?
At Dr Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital, this unit will offer seminars, pre & post natal classes, birthing classes, basic first aid and CPR, a support group, and even discounts. Plenty of support and information to ensure that moms give birth properly and in safe health.
Free Classes for First-Time Moms in Metro Manila/Quezon City
Power is definitely knowledge. The more information about what will happen the less stress and uncertainty a first time mom will experience. A great way to learn the essentials is to sign up for classes that will help with the journey of motherhood. The best thing about it is you can attend these classes for free at the JDMH First Time Mom Unit.
Pregnancy and Childbirth Preparation Classes
- Learning the normal body changes expected throughout pregnancy.
- Knowing the physical symptoms to watch out for so treatment can be sought right away.
- Vaccines, vitamins, or diagnostic tests that might be needed.
- What labor and delivery will entail.
Vaccination and Newborn Care Counseling
- Importance and proper schedule of vaccines for your baby.
- Basics of newborn care.
- Sharing of knowledge to ensure your partner and other caregivers are informed as well.
Nutrition Counseling and Exercise Classes
- Proper care to keep mom and baby healthy during pregnancy.
- Diet changes or improvements necessary for mom and baby’s health.
- Safe exercises.
Basic First Aid and CPR Classes
- Background on basic first aid and CPR.
- Classes for moms and babies, but also for husbands and helpers.
Breastfeeding Counselling and Play Workshops
- Learning how to properly breastfeed.
- Difficulties that could arise (like soreness or insufficient breastmilk supply).
- Play and musical classes for first-time moms and their babies to bond.
Membership for the First Time Mom Unit of JDMH is free and offers prenatal and postnatal classes for moms, parents of newborns, and other people involved in the care of the baby.
Members are also guaranteed “VIP Maternity Services” from the hospital with additional benefits like discounted rates for some pharmacy items, discounted fees for selected laboratory tests and radiology and ultrasound procedures, and an ambulance service. Moms can get a complimentary photo before and after the delivery, a welcome treat for the new member of the family, and freebies from different sponsors.
Learn more about it by visiting the First Time Mom Unit launch on May 29 or by calling (02) 924-4051.
Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital is located at 7 Kamuning Road, Diliman, Quezon City.