In collaboration with The MeatMen cooking channel, TLC presents Wok With Us, a brand new series that takes you to the streets of Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Manila and Kuala Lumpur. Find out just how simple it is to whip up your favourite local dishes at home!
Wok With Us is the second series in TLC’s ongoing line-up to collaborate with local communities and talents. The collaboration first kicked off in 2015 with Food Fix with Erwan Heussaff, a series of short-form vignettes, where popular Filipino personality, Erwan Heussaff shared his recipes and cooking tips that are fun, delicious and quick to prepare.
As a first for TLC, Wok With Us will premiere online on TLC’s Facebook and Youtube pages, a week before the on-air premiere.
EPISODE GUIDE (Online premiere every Wednesday and Friday, 6pm Singapore time)
- [EP 1 – 6] Bangkok: 2 Nov – 18 Nov 2016
- [EP 7 – 12] Manila: 23 Nov – 9 Dec 2016
- [EP 13 – 18] Ho Chi Minh: 14 Dec – 30 Dec 2016
- [EP 19 – 22] Kuala Lumpur: 4 Jan – 13 Jan 2017
- [EP 23 – 24] Singapore: 18 Jan – 20 Jan 2017
An added bonus is this WOK WITH US – SAMPLE RECIPE FROM BANGKOK EPISODE
Thai Fish Cake (Tod Man Pla)
500g Fish Meat (Clown knifefish / King mackerel)
½ Cup Chopped Long Beans
2 tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
3 tbsp Cold Water
2-3 tbsp Fish Sauce (Adjust to preference)
3 tbsp Sugar
3 tbsp Sliced Kaffir Lime Leaves
3 tbsp Sliced Basil Leaves (Note: this can’t be prepared beforehand as it will wilt)
Oil for Pan Frying
1 Cup Basil Leaves
1 Thai Cucumber (Small-sized)
3 Shallots (Finely sliced)
1 tbsp Crushed Unsalted Peanuts
2-3 Bird’s Eye Chilli
Pinch of Salt
- Add 500g fish meat (Clown Knifefish / King Mackerel) paste to food processor
- Add 2 eggs, 2 tbsp cold water, 2-3 tbsp fish sauce and 3 tbsp sugar and blend into smooth paste
- Scrap fish paste out into a large mixing, add 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste and mix well
- Add ½ cup chopped long beans, 3 tbsp sliced Kaffir lime leaves and 3 tbsp sliced Basil leaves
- Mix well and continue to knead for a while, as this will help the consistency be more chewy
- Wet hands with some water, mold 2 tbsp fish paste into a flattened cake and pan-fry in oil until golden on both side. Drain on paper towel and repeat for the rest
- Deep fry 1 cup of basil leaves, drain and set aside
- In a bowl dissolve 75g sugar in 75ml vinegar, add 3 shallots (finely slice), ½ cup 2 inch cubes of thai cucumber, a pinch of salt, 1 tbsp crushed unsalted peanuts, 2-3 chopped bird’s eye chilli.
- Serve fish cake with fried basil leaves and dipping sauce.
Paper towel with tray
1 litre bottle of oil
Knife and chopping board
Bowls and small dish
Chopsticks / tongs